Saturday, April 30, 2011

Z~ Zip

This is the story of Zip. When I was a little girl my uncle Chicky owned a toy store. How cool is that? My parents took us to his store and he said "pick anything you want in the store"! I remember looking up and all around at the toys, bikes, everything! But then, I found Zip! Yup, out of the whole toy store I chose this stuffed animal with his hat, yellow shirt ( with his name on it), his red overalls, plastic white shoes and an arm that squeaked when you squeezed it. My Zip also held a banana.

Zip became my best friend. He went everywhere with me, bike rides, sledding, camping, climbing trees, everywhere!

A few years ago, my husband and I walked into Cracker Barrel and there he was, ZIP, sitting on a shelf! I was so excited, I told my husband "you have to go buy him for me"! I hadn't seen Zip since I was a little kid. I now have another Zip. He is not the true, authentic Zip of the 60's but it is fun to have a piece of my childhood and wonderful memories with my Zip :)


As this challenge has now come to an end, I have learned so much, made new blogger friends and created new memories! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the challenge, sharing your blogs and stopping by mine with your encouraging words. I have signed up to for a writers workshop once a month and look forward to learning more and meeting up with all of you again at next years A~Z Challenge!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Elayne--I am so glad you found a new Zip! And I am very thankful to have gotten to know you a bit better through the A to Z challenge. I can't wait to hear what you learn through the writer's workshops.

Jonna Wilson said...

Hey Elayne! That is too funny! Love the little monkey! How did you hear about the a-z challenge?

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Elayne, we did it! Congratulations! I have an award for you!!

Linda Baer said...

I laughed and cried when I read about "Zip." I was 4 years old when my Dad (Uncle Chickie) opened up Tiny Totland and now 65 years later it unfortunately has had to close.

Who would have thought that many years later we would move into the house in Nashua NH that Chris' family sold to move to Dallas the same time Leida and Carl moved to Dallas from Fall River MA. We had many happy years there as our children grew up.

Things have moved full circle because now we have moved to Texas to be near our grandchildren.

Our daughter Amy is also a two-time breast cancer survivor and like you is a brave, courageous young woman.

Cousin Linda Baer

Elayne said...

Thanks everyone!
Kim~ same here! glad to get to know you better too!

Jonna~ I found out about the challenge through another bloggers blog, see Kim above :)

Elizabeth- thanks so much for the award!

Linda~ Wow! that was great to hear from you. How funny that I got Zip from your dad's toy store!Thanks for writing :)

Car Title Loans said...

This is why I love Cracker Barrel. I found a racoon named Wags there that was from my childhood, too! It's great to have old pieces of childhood. I hope Zip #1 isn't jealous ;)

Ava

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails