Thursday, April 21, 2011

R~ Running!

Inspired To Run
By~ Elayne Minich

My journey as a runner began nearly four years ago when I, along with five other family members trained for and ran The Dallas  Half Marathon in memory of our brother Jim, who just 7 months prior lost his short but heroic battle with leukemia.
 While I was in training I decided to have a physical due to pain in my back that was getting worse. At that time I was a 9 year stage 3 breast cancer survivor, about to be hit with the news that the cancer had spread to my bones, stage 4. Now facing more treatments and very difficult decisions including whether or not to keep running. I did, and completed the Half Marathon, inspired the whole time by how hard Jim fought. That was what kept me going.
 It did not take long before  I decided to tackle a full marathon with my goal set on the Dallas White Rock marathon. Again, during training the cancer roared it's ugly face, this time spreading to the pectoral muscle. More treatments, surgeries and tough decisions combined with the loss of my father-in-law, mother-in-law and 18 year old nephew, all within a years time.
  I have been fortunate to have support from my doctors, family and friends that fully supported my running and did everything to help me reach my goals.On  December 5, 2009, I completed my first marathon with my husband and running partner by my side, and our kids cheering us on at the finish line!
 Running has not only helped save my life and helped with the many healing processes, it has become my passion.
  I decided to become a Personal Trainer and share this love with anyone that will run with me. I teach 5k and 10K run groups and boot-camps. The joy I have teaching and sharing my running experiences is what gets me up each day and keeps me going as I continue to fight for my life.

 

4 comments:

o2bhiking said...

Keep running strong, my friend!

Kim said...

I loved reading your story! You are an inspiration! Keep running...

doreen said...

Yes you are an inspiration. Keep running and writing.
I will keep you in my prayers.

Retired Knitter said...

Wonderful story. Inspirational. Need inspiration these days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails