Friday, April 1, 2011

2011 Komen Survivor brunch and fashion Show

I spent a wonderful morning Saturday with my friend and sister survivor, Natasha at the 2011 Komen Survivor brunch and fashion show. I am not sure if we were wind blown,in a hurry to get our raffle tickets or simply needed more coffee in this picture. But, it was the start of a fun morning!
Elayne & Natasha
A highlight of the morning for us is getting our raffle tickets and picking from all the wonderful prizes! We always try to win the garage door opener, kind of as a joke ...this year Natasha won it!! We laughed so hard! I won a spa package from L'Occitane for my  beat up feet :) Great stuff.
Natasha and I with our prizes!
It has been announced that this will be the first year Race For The Cure will be held in Denton, on Sept. 24th! The organization is now reaching 8 ( I believe) counties vs. the 3 it has been at for many years.
$800,000 was awarded in grant money to local organizations that are working for the cause. We watched a few survivor stories of how women and their families have been helped through Komen when there was no where else to turn.

They do a beautiful job of making all survivors feel special.From the elegant brunch to the recognition of all survivors. From those diagnosed just a few months ago, all the way to a 39 year survivor...who gives all of us hope!

I was the person at our table with the pink card..Longest Survivor :)

I ran into a special group of women who I call "The Lewisville Ladies".These were the women who mentored me from my support group back in 1998 when I was first diagnosed at 34 years old. It is always nice to spend some time celebrating survivorship with all these fellow survivors. A lovely morning brunch :)
While looking at the Komen website I found these pictures of Olympic Gold medal winner Nastia Liukin signing my race bib # after one of the races! Put on your running shoes and participate in one of the local 5k Komen Race for the Cure events...you will be helping many people!
Nastia Liukin signing my race bib!

Elayne with Nastia Liukin after the Komen race

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ladies look great. I can just hear you two laughing. Miss you sooo much. I'm so proud that I can call you brave women my friends. Always keeping you in my conversations with God.

Love, Diane

Retired Knitter said...

What a wonderful post. See what a great attitude, running and good medical care can do?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails