Monday, February 22, 2010

The Limits Of Cancer ~ by Art Ritter

The Limits of Cancer”
“Have you had quite enough? Do you submit to my will?”
Snarled the malevolent specter called Cancer
“For months I’ve attempted your spirit to kill.
Speak, woman, and give me your answer!”

“You’ve taken my breasts and caused me great pain,
And the loss sometimes will cause me to weep
And you’ve brought about much misery, that much is plain.
But you can’t crush my spirit - no, that’s mine to keep!”

So Cancer skulked off to a man in his bed
And it whispered with menacing tone
“I know I have managed to fill you with dread
And it appears like you suffer alone.”

“I’ve lost some parts to the surgeon’s sharp knife
But you’ve not corroded my strong will to live
And you have not severed the love of my wife,
Or of family and friends – no, that’s theirs to give!”

So like a wraith in the night, it next preyed on a child
Her head, from the poisons, was bare
The Beast licked its lips and it roared as it smiled
“Do you give up? Have you enough of this scare?”

“There are times that I quake and tremble with fear,”
And most days I feel desperately ill
And at times I must wonder if the end is too near
But you can’t steal my courage – no, that’s with me still!”

It can riddle our body, it can gnaw on our bones,
Turn our red blood all frothy and white
It can make us quite fearful to face the unknowns
As we smear on our war paint and fight!

As fight it we must, though it means a hard time
For Cancer has limits, despite evil powers.
It can’t rob of us peace or of memories sublime
Or of faith, love, or hope – no, those are all ours!

1 comment:

Daria said...

Hi Elayne,

I'm slow to reply to your comment on my blog. Xeloda ... the onc said I would not grow my hair back while on this drug ... however it is growing back. This is after Taxotere took it all away. I don't have a full head of hair but it's coming in nicely.

Side effects of Xeloda ... mainly mouth sores, diarrhea/constipation and cracks in the hands and feet. The only side effects I've really experienced is diarrhea ... so now I watch dairy products and because that seems to bring it on and ... cracks in my feet so I often moisturize with dollops of Upper Cream and bandage up the area. Just putting moisturizer on twice a day did not work.

Sorry this is a long comment but feel free to email me anytime. My email is on my blog.

Hope this helps.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails