Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Here we go....

Today was our visit with my Onc. to discuss treatment and a start date. I have to admit I did not go into this visit fully convinced that going through chemo again was the right choice for me. Chris and I wrote down all our questions and prayed for wisdom and discernment.

I was in a place where I really needed to hear SOMETHING to make me feel ok with this choice. Before we even started asking our questions, Dr. A answered just about all of them. He said he had really been thinking about what was best for me and we came up with a different game plan, which we are all comfortable with.

Typically I would receive 3 different drugs administered by IV through my port once every three weeks. With my past history of not handling the toxicity of the drugs well, he decided to have me take smaller doses of chemo once a week instead of one huge hit every three weeks. I will still receive the same amount of chemo just in smaller doses. Treatment will go once a week for three weeks then one week off...which happens to be the week of Christmas!

I told him I was terrified to do chemo again since I had such a bad experience 14 years ago. We talked about the changes in medications and the support from my Oncology team I will have. We went over what to do in different situations if I get really sick and he had answers that we were very comfortable with.

Overall, I needed reassurance and he definitely gave me that today. Still not what I want to do, but I feel more hopeful, less fearful and comfortable knowing there is a plan...regardless of whether things go smoothly or not.
With all that said, I begin Monday for my first week. Your thoughts and prayers as I enter this treatment are truly appreciated.

I am so thankful that God eased our worries today and answered our prayers asking for wisdom and discernment for Dr. A and us.

Thanks for hanging in there with me! elayne

3 comments:

o2bhiking said...

You and Chris are very much on my mind, Elayne. I am pulling for you. It sounds like a good plan. Stay strong, stay focused, and visualize your life ahead after all of this. Art

Maryann said...

It sounds like an answer to prayer, the things you were most concerned about were addressed before you even had a chance to express. Will continue to keep you in prayer for the journey ahead

Anonymous said...

Happy your feeling better about things. It will be OK !
ROBIN

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails