Sunday, November 25, 2012

The week behind me and the week ahead...

It has been about a week since my last post. Sometimes it feels like a few days ago and sometimes like months have passed.

Last week took an unexpected turn after meeting with my surgeon to discuss my latest xray and have my stitches removed. He said the results from the xray looked very good! There were two areas where there was still some fluid from the pleural effusion when I left the hospital. One of these areas is gone and the other significantly smaller. His opinion was it is time to stop the IV antibiotics and begin Chemo.

After not hearing from anyone I went to my IV appointment the next day. I walked in and my nurse said "I have good news for you"! I replied"you have spoken to my surgeon haven't you"?  All the doctors are in agreement. IV therapy was stopped and I was sent home with 3 antibiotics to take at home, which I am currently doing.
I am surprised at how slow healing from this is going, but I am reminded "you were very sick". I have trouble breathing walking up a flight of stairs or vacuuming. But...I know  I have to build my strength and stamina back up for what the next weeks will hold.
I have been able to walk up to 2 miles so far, rode my spin bike 2 miles and have tried doing arm/upper body exercises and stretches. Those hurt the most!

What does the week ahead have in store for me? Good question. With the Thanksgiving holiday last week I have not been able to speak to my Onc. about the next steps. What I do know is he wanted treatment to begin this week. So, I believe I will have answers and begin chemo this week.

I am still struggling with this. If you meet anyone that has been through chemo before, they usually say "I would never do it again". I felt that way too. But here I am faced with "let it spread, or try to fight it...again"! There may be a day I have just had enough, but I guess it's not now. My hope and prayer is that "God is not finished with me yet".

Your thoughts and prayers as my family heads into this difficult time are appreciated more than you can know. Please pray for peace, discernment, safety, comfort and God's healing hands upon me once again.
Please watch the video as it better expresses how I feel. And Thank you for "Loving me though it"~elayne
http://youtu.be/WxIt70j_SPk

1 comment:

o2bhiking said...

I don't know which would be worse: that dread of the unknown when you go into chemo for the first time, or that dread of going through it again because you know how rough it is. I am saddened you must go through it again, but you are very strong and will cope. I think of my sister many times, how many different chemos she tried over 4 years with only a 11 month break. So even though people may say they wouldn't do it again, when push comes to shove, most of us would. I would - I would prefer to never have to do chemo again, but I would if I had to. Much of your news is very encouraging, especially being able to walk a couple of miles. Thinking of you... Art

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails