Thursday, December 11, 2008

This is YOUR opportunity to let the new administration know where you want the country to go – I hope you will take advantage of it.

Hi, my name is Elayne, I am 44 and I am fighting breast cancer for the second time in my life.I have stage 4 metastatic breast cancer that has spread to the bones.

At this point in my life I am not only surviving but thriving as a wife, mother and runner.

I would like to see more research and options, especially for people like me that tend to have few options left as a stage 4 cancer patient.

There are now hormonal and targeted therapies being used which do not destroy the rest of your body in the process as with the traditional chemotherapy, radiation and surgery. I think there is great hope in targeted therapies and should be a continued area of research and development.

I would love to see more focus on environmental issues. What is being allowed to be put in the foods we are eating that are loaded with hormones,preservatives and antibiotics as well as what is acceptable with our air quality. On preventative care through a healthier lifestyle overall beginning at childhood.

Cancer is affecting so many people and so many families that we as a nation need to be proactive instead of the traditional reactive society that we have been.
There are many alternative and holistic approaches that most doctors know nothing about. They know very little to nothing about nutrition. These should also be areas that doctors are knowledgeable in and can offer as choices. These may all be keys in being proactive or increasing survival for those of us fighting this battle and those who do not yet know they will be fighting it as well.

Thank you~ Elayne Minich
10 year breast cancer survivor

If you would like to send a letter to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Advocacy Alliance to let our new administration know what your top priorities in the fight against cancer are click on the link below~
http://komenpolicy.org/campaign/priorities_vote/xuweun82yjne3n7i?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Just read your blog from this morning. Elayne, you are becoming quite the writer. It was beautifully done.

I guess I knew you had stage IV with mets, but didn't really acknowledge the fact until now. You have been so brave through everything. I certainly admire you a lot. I know you do much to help others, not only yourself.

Good luck tomorrow with your angiogram. I always ask for sedation so I don't know what is going on during it. Others, like to watch the procedure on the monitor. Of course, I don't know the set up where you are having the procedure done. I will watch your blogs for the results. You are always in our prayers.

Take care. Love you a lot.

Dena

Anonymous said...

You are really something. Go Girl, your right why can't they figure out what is causing all of this cancer. I just heard of another friends husband with cancer showing up again after dealing with prostrate cancer. Charlott

o2bhiking said...

I have had 4 family members diagnosed with cancer since February 2007 (breast - 2, prostate - 1, lung - 1). It is a huge problem. I think your point on environmental influences, while impossible to prove scientfically, just seems right on. It seems obvious even if we can't prove it. Keep blogging, keep running, keep your courage. Well done, Elayne, and well put. Art from Virginia, and from TNT Victory Group

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails