Wednesday, November 18, 2009

PET SCAN results & Tribute

Well, I know many of you have been wondering about how the PET scan results turned out. I have not posted for a while for 2 reasons. First, sadly we lost my father-in -law last week on Thursday and have been out of town with our family at the funeral ( Please see his beautiful tribute in the post below).

Second, I had part of the results but not all. As far as the PET scan and the area of concern in my legs that all came back fine. They did not see anything on the PET except an area in the right chest wall that also showed up last January. It was followed by an MRI last year and showed nothing. This is the site of the original breast cancer. However, this time the test has shown up again with an increase in activity. The PET basically picks up energy, cancer shows as an energy. Last year the uptake showed 3.4, this time it was 7.5
So... now they want me to do a more extensive MRI of the chest to try to get to the bottom of what keeps showing up. Good news, everything else is fine. Bad news, another extensive test to check another area of concern.
The new blood test to check tumor markers has a scale of 0-3 which is considered normal range. My result was 0, so that is good.

At this point, I have spoken with my doctor and asked to put this test on hold till after Dec. 13th so I can stay strong and healthy enough to finish training and complete the White Rock Marathon. He is fine with that.Bottom line, I need a break both physically and emotionally. All of you that are runners understand the toll this will take on your training and the effect on the "mental game". I plan to spend these next 3 weeks focusing on training and praying that once again there will be another explanation for the area in my chest wall. Your prayers for both of these are welcome and very much appreciated :)
Thanks all~ don't forget to watch Ed's tribute.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will deffinately keep you in our prayers. Charlotte

Anonymous said...

Elayne,

I’m been watching your blog and waiting for news of your tests. Glad to hear nothing in the legs. Keep us all posted on the remaining test. Talk with you soon…good luck in the marathon.
Mary

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for your chest... I mean chest wall!

Ellen

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm sorry about the loss of your father-in-law. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Good luck with training and have a Happy Thanksgiving. Sorry again for your loss and hope you will find some solace during the holiday season.
--
Marshall

Anonymous said...

Elayne,

I am so sorry to hear about Chris's Dad. Our prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Jim and Marcy

o2bhiking said...

I hope that the final prep for the marathon can just allow you to concentrate on something fun for a while. You have been through a lot. The news is mixed so I am praying that the continued tests keep ruling out more cancer as they have to date. Good to have you back on-line. Hope the training is going well. I am saddened for your loss. Art

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails