Wednesday, April 1, 2009

#1 Prayer and time in The Word.



This one has been on my mind more in these last few days as I have realized how easy it is to cling to God and His word when you are in crisis mode and then when the storms seem to calm how easy it is to slowly fall away.
Which brings me to #1 in coping with stress and anxiety, Prayer. There is nothing and no-one that can bring you the comfort and peace that you need in these times,  except Christ.
I will admit at first I looked to Chris to tell me everything would be ok, to "fix" it. Not only can he not do those things, it is an unfair expectation on him. I went to the Lord and asked Him to keep me safe and strong and give me peace. It did not happen overnight, however it did eventually happen. He wanted me to trust Him first.
For any of you that have had to have tests done you know how  draining and anxiety ridden those days can be while enclosed in machines as they look to see if they find any more cancer. I found this to be the perfect time to spend in prayer. Hours go by like minutes as I have my "God time" :) I know many of you are praying for me at these times because I can truly feel it.

 Time in The Word~
One of the most helpful things a friend did for me was sent bible verses written on index cards for me to read over and over whenever I felt anxious or worried.  This was great because I could carry them with me and pull them out whenever I needed to. I still keep them close in my bible.
These are just a couple of ways I found and continue to find helpful. Spending time each day with God is where I am able to draw strength and have peace. It may be at home, in church or out in the middle of the lake on my kayak. Wherever it is.. He is.
Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, and he will make your paths straight.” 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails