Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Every time I think it can't get any better, it somehow does...

Before Christmas I wrote "All wrapped up".It was a difficult time and quite honestly I was really feeling estranged from everything. And then Christmas came with all the joy, wonder and excitement that always comes with this special time of year.
As Chris and I were all bundled up walking Ryo one night I said " every time I think it can't get any better, it somehow does". He asked me what I meant by that. Well, last year we had our very first white Christmas and although it was still a difficult year, there was just something about the "first white Christmas" that made it so very special.
With how I was feeling this year I never thought it could be better than last year. Once again, God reminds me to trust Him and He is bigger than anything I can possibly imagine.
The day before Christmas Eve I spent with my son Matt,shopping for presents, eating out for lunch and ending the day with a peppermint latte' from Starbucks. Everyone was home from work on Christmas Eve day and little by little the kids started trickling in. Tim and Stephanie were the first to arrive and we were all so happy they were "home" this year.
Little did I know as I braved Wal Mart on Christmas eve I would run in to my son Kevin who was there getting supplies to make his special person gift...which happened to be me :) He made me a beautiful keepsake box that reminds us both of the beach. I love it! He helped me with the shopping and then we went out for lunch. I made a huge pot of minestrone soup followed by baking cookies with my newest daughter-in-law to be, Stephanie. Our son Tim once again got his "mulled wine"going in the crock pot.
Chris and I along with our 5 kids headed off to the Christmas eve service where it was so nice to see everyone and be surrounded by my family. A last minute invite to join us at our house led to a house full of family, friends & laughter, with 10 unexpected guests! What a wonderful time we all had and I was very glad I had made all that soup!
As we do every Christmas eve we exchange our "special person" gift. This year I picked my daughter Nikki and had a great time putting together a photo scrapbook for her. Scouring through Facebook and blogs to find highlights from her year.After a long night, all the stockings were hung by the chimney with care... and the rest of us headed off to bed.
Christmas morning with adult children means a later morning for all to sleep. Little by little everyone woke up to the smell of sourdough bread in the bread maker and fresh coffee...ahhh. Then it was time to exchange gifts. We open presents one at a time so everyone shares in the joy of giving a gift. Stephanie's mum sent her some special gifts from England to remind her of home. It was very sweet.
All these special little moments made this one of the best Christmas' yet. I was able to enjoy everyone all at once and special moments with each of them. God knew exactly what I needed and I am so very thankful for Him.

4 comments:

Kevin and Nikki said...

I had a wonderful Christmas with you! We're so blessed! :) I love you!

o2bhiking said...

That's great Elayne. Happy New Year! Please say a little prayer for my friend Judy, who is fighting for her life tonight in the ICU - complications from multiple myeloma. Art

Elayne said...

Will do Art! Praying for Judy.

Jonna Wilson said...

Love this post! : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails